About the Department
The department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was established in 2006 with an intake of 60 students. Since then its excellence in each and every aspects has played an important role in the institute. Presently the department is offering B.E in Electrical and Electronics and M.E Power Electronics and Drives. The department is approved by AICTE and affiliated to Anna University, Chennai. Electrical Engineering Department has been actively involved in research and consultancy in all the fields of Electrical Engineering. The Department has well equipped laboratories and research facilities. It is constantly modernizing the laboratory facilities with latest technology and research know-how.
- To make the students aware of the impact of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in the global industries scenario and the challenges of Electrical based industries and organizations.
- To equip the students to prepare themselves to meet the demands of the growing industries and to become exemplary professionals of high standard in the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
- To mould them as successful entrepreneurs contributing to nation’s economic growth.
Objective of the Department
To develop the department as a center of excellence to take care of the local and regional needs related to electrical engineering activity.
- To meet acute needs have trained specialists in the diverse field of Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
- To encourage Students and Faculty to undertake research Programmers and projects of multi-disciplinary characters.
- To start more number of Master degrees in different specialization.
- To conduct summer and winder schools for faculty members and short-term course for technicians
Under Graduate Programmes
B.E - Electrical and Electronics Engineering - 60 Seats
Post Graduate Programmes
M.E - Power Electronics and Drives - 18 Seats
The department has spacious laboratories such as DC Machines lab, AC Machines Lab, Electric Circuits and Devices Lab, Measurement and Instrumentation Lab, Control System Lab, Power Electronics Lab, Computer & Simulation Lab and Electrical Workshop. All the laboratories are fully equipped with latest, modern and sophisticated equipments.
The Department has eight well-equipped laboratories:
- A.C and D.C Machines laboratory
- Power Electronics laboratory
- Control Systems laboratory
- Measurements and Instrumentation laboratory
- Circuits and Devices laboratory
- Electron Devices and Circuits laboratory
- Engineering Practice (Electrical) laboratory
- Power SystemSimulation laboratory
A.C and D.C Machines laboratory
All types of DC Machines, single phase and three phase squirrel cage and slip ring induction motors, single-phase and three phase transformers, suitable starters and loading arrangements for machines, measuring instruments of all types needed for the laboratory experiments and also sub-standard meters meant for calibration. The Electrical Machines Laboratory is utilized by all branches of students for lab work and project work. All these facilities are used by the teachers for research and development work. The major equipments in DC and AC Machines laboratory are DC Shunt Motor DC Series Motor, AC Induction machine, Squirrelcage, inductionmachine, etc.,
Power Electronics laboratory
It is to expose the students to the techniques of designing and building power electronics circuits. Our laboratory fully equipped with advanced Power electronic circuits and modules like three phase IGPT based inverter, DC-DC converter, MOSFET Chopper. The nature of power electronic circuits requires that the laboratory course be handled in a way different from the conventional laboratory approach. This lab is used to conduct experiments in the domain of digital electronics. This lab is self sufficient in all respects. Each standard setup in the lab consists of basic and advanced trainer kits, oscilloscope and function generators.
Control Systems Laboratory
The laboratory established with Control systems instruments like Tachometer, Stepper Motor control, AC and DC position control which provides in-depth training to the students. This lab is general enough to hold a number of experiments suitable for giving students enough exposure to enable them to easily adopt experiments in more advanced laboratories in the department.
Measurements and Instrumentation Laboratory
The laboratory established with testing and measuring instruments like DMMs, Tachometer, Bridge circuits, ADC and DAC Converters, Pressure and Angular Measurement Trainers which provides in-depth training to the students. This lab is general enough to hold a number of experiments suitable for giving students enough exposure to enable them to easily adopt experiments in more advanced laboratories in the department.
Power System Simulation laboratory
The power system laboratory includes models of power plant generators, transformers, distribution networks and a transmission network with relay equipment, which has been used both in student projects and for research. The laboratory established with Computer Aided drawings, simulations and Analyzing of Power systems are done by high end computers and latest software like MIPOWER and Mat lab.